Tuesday 8 July 2014

A battle of lycra…no, of Gladiators.

I'm a big fan of SBS's Cycling Central. It's got great, relevant content and a heap of quality articles.
I also love the movie Gladiator and its amazing soundtrack, thanks Enya*. 
Now Cycling Central has brought me christmas in July and delivered two loves in one package. Watch this link then come back to me.


[…………..….30secs…………..….1min.1min8secs…..1min19secs……..And you're back]

How amazing is that?
No, how 'deep' is that!? Cycling made so dramatic with Enya/Gladiator inspired music.
Who knew that the modern-day peloton and slaves, forced to fight one another in barbaric contests for the joy of the bloodthirsty crowd, were so similar? "Not I" we all chime in chorus.
Never in all my viewings of Rusty Crowe in chains- and there have been many - did I draw the comparison.
When I was watching the movie for the first time as a 13 year old boy (not girl), I never thought, 'You know what they should have instead of these horse-drawn carts?' Bicycles. Yep, a couple sweet carbon steeds between the thighs would make this flesh-torn colosseum scene complete. Throw that shield away, stitch a padded chamois in his gusset and let him deflect mortal blows with his arse.
For those struggling, that last sentence loosely translates to: 


Put him in a pair of those stupid shorts with the pillow in the arse.

I'm starting to think there was more to that film than Director Ridley Scott was letting on. Is it just mere coincidence that his name is comprised of two major bicycle brands?



This link is too big to ignore? Cue The Twilight Zone please.
And here I was thinking the movie was just exploring simple ideas like redemption, duty/honour and a bit of racial equality.
IT'S SO MUCH MORE.

Oh yeah, and the Tour de France is still on, Cavendish = out. Massive shame but great for Aussie Mark Renshaw to get the chance to step up.

For those interested here's an update of my Tour de Twitter which I briefly mentioned in my last post.

Day 3. EPO shot 2/12. 6 steaks for dinner. Got a call after from an unknown number. 
Some Texan wants to be mates.


*As far as I can research, Enya wasn't actually involved in the Soundtrack for the film in any way. But any music that makes me feel like I'm walking in a rainforest with happy little creatures hopping around and the smell of fresh rain is Enya.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *